Company History

D. Ackland & Son

Acklands was founded in Winnipeg in 1889 by Dudley Ackland. The Company was a pioneer in manufacturing and supplying wooden goods for various customers. Legally incorporated in 1905, Acklands manufactured and sold carriages, wagons, farm machinery and a variety of other supplies and equipment.

With the advent of the automobile in 1919, Acklands added replacement parts and accessories to its product offering. Responding to the needs of the marketplace, the company continued to change and evolve over the next several decades.

Through internal growth and numerous acquisitions, Acklands grew to be Canada’s largest distributor of industrial products, serving a diverse customer base. In 1996, Acklands was purchased by Grainger, a publicly traded company and the largest industrial distributor in the United States with current annual sales in excess of $9.4 billion. At that time, Acklands name was changed to Acklands-Grainger Inc.

Acklands-Grainger is now Canada’s largest distributor of industrial, safety and fastener products backed by more than 125 years of proven history in providing selection, quality and service excellence to its customers.